Unsweetened cocoa powder
Semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
(1 stick) unsalted butter
Stout or other dark beer, or cold coffee
Large eggs, at room temperature
Packed light brown sugar
Pure vanilla extract
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter until it just turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the brown butter into the chocolate and stir until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the stout or other dark beer or cold coffee.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugars until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all of the ingredients are well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges are firm and the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before slicing.
- Slice into 12 large or 24 small brownies.
- To store, cover the pan in plastic wrap and keep on the counter for up to one week.
© Muskoka Brewery Inc.
Suggested Pairings: Serve a brownie with a robust style beer like a porter or stout. We are jealous you’re about to sample this.
What beer did you pair with this recipe? Let us know using the hashtag #CheersCanada.